Fibroid are common in women.
Statistically 70% of women will have fibroid in their reproductive lifetime. This implies that 7 in every 10 women in their reproductive age have fibroid.
It may be asymptomatic (without any symptoms) and in some symptomatic.
Uterine Fibroid are non cancerous tumor found in the uterine wall,
It usually start as a single tumor then expands to affect different areas of the uterine wall. Hence the different types of fibroid
- Intramural Fibroid : grow in the wall of the uterus
- Subserosal Fibroid : grow on the outside of the uterus
- Submucosal Fibroid : grow just underneath the uterine lining and can occupy the uterine cavity lead to severe bleeding and infertility
- Pedunculated Fibroid: grow on stem or stalk
- Cervical Fibroid : grow in the cervix
SYMPTOMS OF FIBROID
70 -80% of women with fibroid are asymptomatic, Some discover it on routine examination or antenatal visit during pregnancy.
In symptomatic cases, they may manifest as
- Heavy menstrual bleeding lasting longer (menorrhagia)
- Bloating or fullness in the stomach/pelvic region.
- Pelvic pressure or pain.
- Frequent urination (Polyuria)
- Difficulty emptying your bladder.
- Pain with intercourse
- Backache or leg pains
- Reproductive issues, including infertility and miscarriages.
Let’s Talk About The Risk Factor
Sadly the main cause of fibroid is unknown. But some factors have been linked to the cause.
- Heredity: If your mother or Sister has fibroid, you may also develop it.
- Age from 30 years but has been found in younger ages in black women.
- Race :More in Blacks than white
- Lifestyle :
- High Blood Pressure
- Birth Control
- Hormonal Changes :
- Early Menstruation
- Late Pregnancy
Some of the risk factors are non modifiable (family history, age or even the race) meaning there is little or nothing you can do to stop the development. In cases of modifiable risk factors like diet, obesity and hormonal, there are some changes you can take to prevent the development of fibroid and also balance your hormone naturally.
Can Fibroid be treated Without Surgery?
Yes! In some women who do not have symptoms, can leave it instead and it will shrink after menopause
Are There Natural Ways To Shrink Fibroid.
Yes! Depending on the size, severity of symptoms.
1.It shrinks Naturally after menopause.
There are some certain food that have been scientifically proven to increase the growth or reduce the size of Fibroid.
2.Foods to Avoid : Certain food worsen the development or growth of fibroid.
- Food like high fats or processed meat increase inflammation
- Conventional diary (like milk.
- Refined Sugar
- Caffeine this overwork the livers and leads to leads to hormonal imbalance
- Alcohol : It also reduces immune function; can promote weight gain; and encourages hormonal imbalances.
(Image Credit: Dr Axe)
3. Food that help relieve fibroid.
- Organics food that are not grown with pesticides.
- Cruciferous Vegetables cabbage, broccoli sprouts, kale, tomato and apple. They support detoxification of your liver and help balance estrogen levels which prevent uterine fibroid development.
(Image Credit: Dr Axe)
4. Food Rich In Beta Carotene :like kale, sweet potatoes, carrot and spinach are converted to Vitamin A this promotes the growth and repair of healthy tissues, which can be very helpful for treating fibroid.
5. High-Iron Foods: One of the symptom of fibroid is heavy menstruation. This can lead to anemia. To replace the excessive loss of iron due to increased bleeding, include high-iron foods like grass-fed beef and legumes in your diet.
Whole Grains : like millet, brown rice, oats are high in fibers and process less.
6. Flax-seed can help balance estrogen in the body which in turn shrinks fibroid. Include them in your diet.
(Image Credit: Dr Axe)
7. Avoid Exposure to Environmental Toxins : pesticides, herbicides, synthetic fertilizers, bleach, food preservatives, harmful cleaners (even certain eco-cleaners) and food dyes. You should also use organic creams and makeup.
8. Use of Essential Oils like clary sage and frankincense are the best essential oils for natural fibroid treatment. They all have the ability to help balance hormones naturally. Clary sage oil has also been shown by researchers to significantly lower cortisol level as well as to have antidepressant effect.
To use these essential oils you can rub 2 drops of each oil over your lower abdomen two times daily (combine with a carrier oil like coconut oil if you have sensitive skin). You might also try putting 2 drops of frankincense oil on the roof of your mouth two times daily.
7. Weight Control: In addition to eating healthy diet, exercise is another important way.
Getting regular exercise can actually help to prevent fibroid before they start! It has anti-inflammatory effects, help control blood pressure, can help improve insulin sensitivity and contribute to hormonal balance.
8. Take Supplements : Some supplement have been shown to help shrink fibroid. While there has been no scientific evidence yet to show this, some people have recorded some positive response in taking them. Some list of supplements to take.
When Is Surgery Treatment The Option
- When the symptoms is life threatening. Like heavy menstruation, too frequent urination or absent of urination
- When Fertility is delayed
- Patient’s Choice
- Discuss the surgical ways with your doctor like uterine embolization (where the blood supply to the fibroid is block allowing the fibroid to shrink) or myomectomy (where the entire fibroid is removed surgically)
Medical Treatment Of Fibroid
- Pain relief can be use to reduce the menstrual pain
- Iron Containing drugs in cases of heavy menstruation to replenish the blood
- Combined Oral Contraceptives and Intrauterine Device can also be used to decrease bleeding and cramps
- Certain are used to shrink the size,
Uterine Fibroid and Pregnancy
- Fibroid is not the major cause of infertility in woman as some people paints. Though it can account for some cases of infertility.
- It may cause miscarriage, bleeding, Preterm labor or even affect the position of the baby in pregnancy
- Fibroid can increase in size during pregnancy due to increased levels of estrogen.
Fibroid are tumor growth in the uterus they are not cancer but can transform to cancer in rare occasion.
Fibroid can be prevented and managed.
Discuss any remedies, diet plan and surgical option with your doctor.
Your Doctor knows what is best for you
Let me hear from you.
Do you have fibroid?
what remedies have you tried and what were the success rate?